Created a capture file to identify reason for network spikes whilst gaming. What next?

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Hi,

I downloaded Netmon hoping to identify the reason behind my lag spikes whilst gaming online. I created a short capture file but do not know how to interpret it to isolate any potential issues.

Can anyone point me in the right dfirection or help me understand the problems?

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM

From a general perspective, you can look at the application traffic specific by clicking on it in the conversation tree.  Then you can look at each IP and TCP conversation underneath and see if you can spot something like a burst of traffic around a certain point.  However, there's really not a good way to look at all traffic and look for spikes.  In the Message Analyzer (the eventual replacement for Network Monitor) we have start create visualizers that can be configured to do this.  You can play with the beta on http://connect.microsoft.com/site216, but there is nothing explicitly built in. 

The only other option today is that you could add columns to the UI for TCPPayloadLength, (assuming it's TCP traffic), then export the data to Excel with copy/paste and do some analysis there.  Other than that, you could use the API to extract the info you want.

Paul