What about Promiscuous Mode?

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I don't understand this website. Has Microsoft released it's Netmon application to an open source development community? Why? Also, I use MS Netmon 1.x for my job troubleshooting network problems in the products we produce. I have to use 1.x and have resisted taking updates beyond 1.x because the support of Promiscuous Mode was removed in some release beyond 1.x. Netmon is absolutely useless to me without the support of Promiscuous Mode, I can't do my job without it. Is Promiscuous Mode still not supported in Netmon?

Coordinator
Aug 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM

The open source project is for Network Monitor Experts.  We've released an API in the NM3.2 release and extended it in NM3.3.  But what's really exciting is that we now have a simple way to execute an expert from the UI and pass some contextual information.  This way the expert can run based on the open file, selected frame and some other peices of based on the information the expert requires.  So this site is dedicated to helping build experts and exposing the available experts.

Network Monitor 3.3 (and all versions) do support promiscious mode.  When Network Monitor 3.3, just select the adapter in the Select Network Window (on the start page or in the Capture tab) and then hit the Pmode button.  You can also double click the adapter and click the pmode check box.

We also have a video on capturing on our blog which might also help you understand how to enable pmode.

http://blogs.technet.com/netmon/archive/2008/07/11/nm3-tv-video-help-for-using-nm3.aspx

Thanks,

Paul

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Thanks for the response paullong. It sounds like I can go ahead and take the updates to MS Netmon and use it with Promiscuous Mode. I'll definitely view the video link.

I'm still confused by your use of the word "Expert." Expert usually refers to someone who is very knowledgeable about a particular subject. Your use of "Expert" seems to mean something like perhaps a Netmon add-on, similar in concept to the Java VM running as an add-on to a web browser application. Can you further explain what you mean by a Netmon "Expert?"

Thanks in advanced,

BoiseBaked

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Hi BoiseBaked,

That's a good question.  We do use the term "Expert" for add-on tools which perform analysis and other extraneous functions.  The term originated in the 2.0 version of the product, but initially we didn't have support for them in the 3.x series until we added an API in 3.2 and later a menu to access and run Experts on traces in 3.3.

We have seen some confusion around using this term, but we had kept it to be analogous for the user base familiar with the 2.x series of Network Monitor.

Thanks,
Michael